Pages

Sunday, December 23, 2012

The Magic


 
Christmas is my favourite time of year.  There is excitement in the air and goodwill.  I savour everything the season brings: the hustle and bustle of finding that perfect present, gift wrapping, decorating the house, trimming the tree and baking.  My favourite part of the holiday season is spending time with friends and family. Celebrating with the people I love has always made any holiday special, but is even more special at Christmas.  
This year, Christmas is more poignant, more precious because of the horror we have just witnessed when young children and their teachers were senselessly murdered in Connecticut.  I think we all feel the need to hug our children a little tighter and an increased, almost urgent desire to spend time with those we love.  As President Obama said, our hearts are broken for the families who will have a lonely holiday season and whose children they are no longer able to hug.  This tragedy has reminded us once again how fortunate we are to have family and loved ones to celebrate with.
  
This year more than ever, I will appreciate and enjoy the big, noisy family I share my holiday meals with.  I will listen with gratitude as laughter rings throughout the house while my heart will ache for those families whose homes are silent because their little one was so cruelly taken away.  How sad this Christmas will be for them, as will every other Christmas from now on.  
More than ever, I will enjoy that comfortable feeling that comes from being with family who know each other better than anyone else ever could – and still like each other!  I always marvel at the inter-generational exchanges and how age doesn't matter at a family gathering. We all have something in common: each other.  We are all so alike and yet so different from each other. That is the magic of family, and it becomes even more magical at Christmas.  The horrific event in Connecticut has taken away not only a family member, but the magic of the season for so many innocent families.  As you celebrate your good fortune with loved ones this season, take a moment to send loving thoughts to those who, rather than planning meals and opening gifts, are planning funerals and grieving.  And don’t forget to hug your children and your loved ones.  
To each of you, I offer my  best wishes for a very Merry Christmas.  May your holiday celebration be perfect and create wonderful memories to cherish for a lifetime.
Knowing how fortunate we are to have family and friends close by during the holiday season . . . it's a good thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment