Pages

Tuesday, September 3, 2013

That First Day of School


Just before I sat down to write today, I saw my neighbor leaving to walk her daughter home from school on her first day in grade two.  I spoke to her for a few moments and she described her daughter’s excitement at returning to school and her own anxiety at sending her off on that first day.  The first day of school is certainly an emotionally charged day for students and for their parents.
          For families, the start of the school year signals a return to a regular routine after the summer off.  It is also the beginning of the “busy season” as sports, dance and many other activities begin,  and life begins once again to rush at a quicker pace.  As I walked through local stores during the past couple weeks, I saw many parents and their children purchasing supplies for school, trying on new school clothes and heard more than one argument over which item to buy. Although it is a little sad to be nearing the end of summer, I think everyone appreciates a routine to regular hours and scheduled activities.
          When I was a student, I waited in anxious anticipation as the new school year approached. It seemed that each year the summer holidays sped by faster. Suddenly it was time to return to school and with it came all the fear, nervousness and uncertainty.  I was always very nervous that first day: would I like my teacher?  Would he/she like me?  Would my friends still like me?  Had Mom packed a good lunch? What if the whole years turns out to be awful and unbearable?  How will I know which bus is mine when I come out of school at the end of the day?
          Everything wasn’t sad or awful.  There were some happy things about going back to school. Each year I would get a new set of clothes that would usually arrive in a huge package from Sears, which was how most farm families shopped.  Mom would pick out our clothes and surprise us with it when the parcel arrived.  Once I was a little older, I would carefully go through the Fall and Winter Catalogue (which, of course, arrived in June) and pick out my new clothes. I loved new clothes! It almost made it worth going through the pain of that awful first day of school.
          I also loved shopping for new school supplies. Mom always made a special celebration of writing our names on all our new supplies. She would set aside an afternoon for "marking" and we kids would stack our supplies in front of us, and we would write our names on everything (maybe this is where I developed that love I have for the "new book" smell).  If Dad was home,  he would sharpen out pencils and scratch the paint off in a spot close to the eraser so that our names could be written on each pencil. Despite my discomfort at facing that first day of school, I enjoyed putting on my new clothes, grabbing my new books and waiting for the bus.
          Loving - and fearing - the first day of the new school year . . .  it’s a good thing!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment