Pages

Sunday, September 11, 2011

Family

This week-end, I went to my nephew’s wedding. It was a beautiful day. The sun shone brightly, the skies were clear and blue and the wedding was perfect. Family came from near and far to share in this special day. Every occasion my family gets together like this provides the opportunity to reconnect with nieces and nephews, cousins and in-laws. I enjoy the inter-action between the generations. Young and old, we are related and we learn from each other. We are safe in the unconditional love that we have for each other. Sometimes it amazes me how we are all so alike and yet so different from each other. We are family – and we are secure in the knowledge that we have each other’s backs no matter what life throws at us.
As I watched my nephew and his bride exchange vows, the years peeled away. I remembered being in a different town, watching my brother and his bride exchange vows. For a moment, it was surreal that I was now witnessing their youngest child being married. Later on at the dance, I watched our littlest relatives running and playing on the dance floor. The adults took turns holding and enjoying new babies. It doesn’t seem that long ago it was I and my siblings playing with cousins at family weddings, and watching my parents admire new additions. Before we knew it, our own children took over that role. I remember my five-year-old son in his role as ring-bearer, wearing a little white tux, running and playing with his cousins. They are now all adults.
Where have the years gone? Does this make me old? I have realized at other family events that I am witnessing generational passages. Our children are graduating from high school and university, getting married and having babies. They were children only yesterday, when did they grow up and begin having children of their own?
Our family is growing. New boyfriends and girlfriends, husbands and wives are becoming a part of our circle and new babies are beginning to appear. The next generation is on the move. I am quickly becoming one of “the old aunts” – a title once relegated to my father’s sisters. While I love the young people in our family, I wish time would slow down just a little. Allow me to get used to having grown children and to seeing my siblings with grown children. Now we are suddenly grand-parents, great-aunts and great-uncles.
It is amazing how quickly time is passing and how each new generation in stepping into the role of the previous one. It is, as they say in the Lion King, “the circle of life”. Each stage of life is precious and brings its challenges and rewards. Savour every moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment