Pages

Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Christmas Lights Over-Kill


There is a house close to our street that absolutely shines every Christmas. I don't know the owners, but I see them for days at a time, out in their yard, setting up their Christmas yard display. They are out there working, no matter how frigid the temperature. By the time they are done, there is hardly a space that is not lit up. Their yard sparkles with Santas, Christmas trees, wreathes and trains. There is a Santa with eight reindeer on top of their house. Three snowman take up residence on the front of the house, just above the bedroom windows. Reindeer made up of white lights prance across their yard. As you near their house, you see brilliant reds, yellows, blues and greens. Every morning when I drive by on my way to work, I shake my head and wonder about the "over-kill". Each time I drive by I think to myself these people need to find a life! However, I have noticed something the last few nights. Every time their house with its brilliant lights comes into sight, I find myself smiling. If I have had a busy day, the decorated yard reminds me to enjoy life a little. As I drive by the twinkling reindeer, I am suddenly in the mood for Christmas! So, to my unknown neighbor, thank you for taking so many hours each Christmas season to set up your spectacular display. Thank you for braving the cold and for climbing up your extension ladder to the your roof and thank you for the love and care you put into your decorations. Although you think your neighbor might be going just a little overboard with Christmas decorations, when night falls and lights shine brightly, you appreciate the Christmas spirit it creates . . . it's a good thing

No comments:

Post a Comment