Pages

Monday, December 20, 2010

Christmas With Family



This year, some members of my family were unable to be with us for Christmas Day. So, instead of having our usual Christmas Day meal, we held it a week early. This was a different experience for us - we have always celebrated together on Christmas Day. I love the large, noisy family who comes into our home and this year was no different. Our house rang with laughter and joking. We enjoyed that comfortable and peaceful feeling that comes from being with family who know each other better than anyone else ever could. I always marvel at the inter-generational exchanges and how age doesn't matter at a family gathering. We all have something in common: each other. It is always amazing to see young people deep in discussion with much other relatives, and older relatives taking interest in the lives and gossip of younger people. That is the magic of a family. I was concerned that this year Christmas would not be the same without the Christmas Day family meal, yet I was pleasantly surprised to find that it actually extended the Christmas season for me. We had the big family meal a week early, then on Christmas day, my husband and sons and I had our own Christmas meal. This was something new for us, and we enjoyed it very much. Celebrating Christmas with family - no matter what day . . . . it's a good thing!

No comments:

Post a Comment