Pages

Wednesday, September 22, 2010

M & M World


As a child, I never really cared for M & M's. I still don't. They're ok, but I don't think I've ever actually bought a pack of M & M's. Oh, they are really cute in their little TV commercials, and I know parents like them because they don't melt in their little one's hand. I've seen the M & M merchandise in various stores, but didn't really think about it - that is, until I saw an M & M store on the Strip in Vegas! An entire store - FOUR stories - dedicated to M & M merchandise! Why? Who wants stuff with the M & M logo on it? Well, obviously a lot of people! There is one whole floor of children's clothes. On the other floors you can find adult clothes, kitchen things, lamps, baby things, ornaments, school supplies, purses, scarves and Christmas decorations - just about anything you can imagine, you can probably find at the M & M Store. There is one section with huge containers of M & M's in each color. You can buy only your favorite color or you can mix the colors. The store is bustling with families, with teen-agers and seniors, and each floor is busy ringing in the sales. The whole idea amazes me and I would like to know more about the person who opened this store. Why would he or she think that they could be successful operating a four-story store than sold only M & M branded items? Where would they get the idea? What would make a business person think that adults would want a four-piece M & M decorated dinner set? Where ever they drew their inspiration from, they were dead on; the store is a success, and people take home item after item decorated with M & M's. Marvelling at the ingenuity of people who take a far-fetched idea and turn it into a success story . . . it's a good thing!

No comments:

Post a Comment