Pages

Thursday, September 16, 2010

Old Photographs


I think old pictures are priceless. I, like most people, have pictures of my parents and my grandparents when they were young. I remember as a child looking through my Grandma's pictures and being spellbound by photos of her and Grandpa in the early days of their marriage, and pictures of my Mom and my Aunt as children. Grandma had a soft leather-bound photo album with black pages that the pictures were attached to. How I loved that photo album! Without that visual, I would not have known my parents and grandparents in their youth. It was a shock to my young mind to realize that they had not always been "old". It taught me that they had once been young and had had very different lives than the one they were living now - just as we all have once we leave home. The picture in this blog is of me and my Dad. The photo tells me so much. If it had never been taken, I would not have known that one day Dad came in from his chores, and picked me up and held me. The picture of the farmer in his work clothes holding a baby, lovingly dressed in beautiful clothes by her mother, reminds me of the love between all parents and their children. I don't know who took this picture, but I am grateful to that photographer. Old photographs that tie the past to the present, and remind you of who you are - and who you were . . . it's a good thing!

No comments:

Post a Comment