Pages

Monday, September 27, 2010

Rushing The Season


As I was out walking yesterday, I came upon one of my neighbors up on a ladder. I thought maybe he was doing some repairs to his house, or perhaps, washing windows. But no - he was putting up his Christmas lights! On September 26! Who does that? How can you possibly get yourself into the Christmas spirit in November and December, when you have put your lights up on your house in September? I admit it was a nice day, and it would be nice to put lights up without freezing your hands. Not that I would know . . . my husband and I always wait until its at least -25 before we suddenly remember that the lights have to be put up. We could, at that point, decide to not put lights up, but how could we have Christmas without lights? As my husband says every year, how can you get into the Christmas spirit without frozen finger tips? My neighbor, out there on his ladder, in shirt sleeves, is not working himself into any type of Christmas spirit, he is simply "getting the job done". While a part of me admires him for being far sighted and organized, it just wouldn't feel right putting up Christmas lights on September 26. Decorating your house, wearing parkas, scarves and mitts and giving your husband instructions through frozen lips . . . it's a good thing!

No comments:

Post a Comment