Pages

Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Brought To Tears . . By Canadian Tire?



I have been known to shed a tear during a sad movie. I've cried my way through more than one chick-flick. One thing I have never done is to be driven to tears by a commerical - until today. Canadian Tire has a new commercial wherein an elderly mother is looking out the window and sadly comments to her adult daughter that her children (the mother's) used to love to decorate the big tree outside in the front yard every Christmas. Then she comments on how she wishes she would see her sons more often. The daughter replies that the boys are busy and then says to her mother that they should go into town. The mother, looking very lonely as they drive away, stares out of the vehicle at the tree. While they are away, her sons and their families drive up and haul out lights and decorations (in Canadian Tire bags, of course) and decorate the tree. Just as the mother and daughter drive into the drive-way, the lights are turned on and the sons and grand-children pour out of the house. That short one-minute ad had me in tears this morning. (I'm in tears just writing about it!) I don't know what it is exactly that gets me about this commercial. Maybe it's because I love Christmas with all the decorations, family gatherings and presents. Maybe it is because I am the mother of boys. Maybe it is because my own elderly mother just said good-bye to her son who is moving far away. If the intention of the advertiser was to create a "chick-flick" type of emotion, they have succeeded! Well done, Canadian Tire! Appreciating a great commercial and maybe even shedding a tear or two over it . . . it's a good thing!

No comments:

Post a Comment