Pages

Thursday, November 4, 2010

Lana


In my job, I often advocate for people who are having problems with government agencies. There are far too many times when the rules are so rigid that I can't help the people who need it the most. The other day, I was feeling very discouraged when once again I had to deliver bad news. This time it was to a young single mom for whom I could find was no solution to her problem, knowing that she and her young child would soon find themselves on the street with no where to live. I was feeling very sad, thinking about the many people I have not been able to help, when I suddenly remembered Lana. I had been working at this job for a few short years when Lana walked into my office in tears. She was about to lose her student loan because she had missed too many days of school. She was going to university to become a social worker. Lana was a single mother who had found herself in an abusive relationship. Things got so bad that she feared for her life. She took her baby and moved out. It took time to get her life back into order. In the upheaval, she was forced to miss many days of school, however managed to keep up with her assignments. Then, just as she was feeling that she was back in control of her life, she received a letter informing her that her student loan was being revoked. She phoned Student Loans Office and explained why she had missed so much school and that she had managed to keep up with her assignments, but they told her there was nothing they could do. When Lana walked into our office, she was desperate and she was terrified. She knew that getting her education was the only way to ensure a solid future for her and her child, and now that was being taken away from her. I knew it wasn't going to be easy but I really admired this young girl, so I worked hard on her case. After a week of going through several layers of bureaucracy and repeating Lana's story and pleading on her behalf, and just when I thought it was hopeless, I got a call that Lana's case had been reconsidered and they would restore her funding. Lana was so happy when I told her that I knew it had been worth all the effort. Lana thanked me and told me how grateful she was. I said my usual "just doing my job, you don't have to thank me", but I was so happy for her. Lana left my office that day and I went on to other cases and projects at work. Days turned into months and months into years. Some three years after Lana's funding had been restored, I got a phone call. The caller said, "I don't know if you remember me. I'm Lana. Three years ago you helped me with my Student Loan problem. I'm just calling to thank you and to tell you that today is my convocation. I wouldn't be here if it wasn't for you. Thank you". Sometimes, even if you don't win them all, the ones that you do win make it all worthwhile. Knowing that the Lana's of the world are going to be ok . . . it's a good thing!

No comments:

Post a Comment