Pages

Wednesday, November 10, 2010

My Walking Doll


I was about five years old when I saw my first "walking doll". A walking doll was a doll which stood about the height of a three-year-old and if you moved her arms, she would "walk". The ads on TV promised that a walking doll would bring me total happiness and that I would spend countless hours enjoying my new friend. I just had to have one! I begged my parents for one for Christmas, promising that I would be forever happy and would always behave from now on, if only I had a walking doll! For good measure, I also begged my Grandma for one, telling her that I would just die if I didn't get a walking doll for Christmas. On Christmas morning, I awoke early and as I, my brother and sister excitedly ran to the tree, there she was! My beautiful walking doll. She had long blond hair, blue eyes and wore a green dress with little blue and white squares. I was ecstatic! It was true what they had said in the commercials: she did bring joy and fulfillment into my life. I would love her forever, which I did - until we got to Grandma's house for Christmas supper. There was another beautiful walking doll - this one with short curly brown hair and big brown eyes. I promptly decided I loved her more than my first doll. However, after some discussion, Grandma and Mom decided that I should keep the first doll and the second doll would be returned. I pouted for a little while, but soon I was in love again with my perfect walking doll. Out of all my toys, she is one of the few I still have! She stands guard in my bedroom to this day, in her original dress and shoes, as shown in the picture. The denim jacket is an addition - it was worn by both my boys when they were little. Toys that become lifelong friends . . . it's a good thing!

No comments:

Post a Comment