Pages

Thursday, March 17, 2011

A Healthy Cup'a Java


A few weeks ago I wrote in my blog about the health benefits of drinking a glass of wine a few times a week. Now I find that the University of California has done research which proves that drinking coffee can reduce the risk of developing diabetes by 60%! The researchers found this applied to people with normal levels of blood sugar as well as those who have been diagnosed as pre-diabetic. How much coffee are they talking? Well, about four cups a day. Not bad – a little less than I usually drink, but still within reason. These findings are consistent with previous studies. However, the University of California research is one of the most comprehensive studies done. The researchers studied 910 adults over an average of 8 years. By the way, they also found that people who no longer drank coffee had the same lower percentage of diabetes as those in the study who still drank coffee. I love it when something I like to consume is found – by scientists, no less – to be good for you (ok – in moderation, but still). Drinking wine and coffee because it’s good for you . . . it’s a good thing!

No comments:

Post a Comment