Pages

Friday, March 4, 2011

We Care


One of the reasons I love living in a small city is because people care about each other and still take time to help one another. I saw a great example of this today. Over the noon hour, I happened to be driving through a grocery-store parking lot. It was a bitterly cold day and the wind chill was extreme. I saw an elderly woman standing by her car and noticed it had a flat tire. I also noticed a store employee in the store's bright yellow safety-jacket kneeling by the tire, changing it. Then I happened to take a second look and saw that it was not an employee after all - it was the store manager! I was impressed. How many managers would change a customer's tire - especially on a very cold day? I know this would likely not happen in a bigger city. There is still a sense of community here and neighbors still feel a responsibility to each other. That store manager changing the lady's tire on such a cold day epitomized this. At one time, this store used the slogan "We Care" in its national advertising. I don't know if it is still used or not, but in this city, it is very true. People who go above and beyond the call of duty . . . it's a good thing!

No comments:

Post a Comment