Pages

Monday, March 28, 2011

Old Friends and New


This week-end I had the pleasure of spending time with some wonderful friends. I was in Regina and stayed at the home of a very good friend who used to live in my city. I really miss Rose-Anne and it was so nice to spend time with her again. I also got to visit with another good friend, AM, who happens to be her daughter. AM now has two beautiful children. AM’s daughter, “Missy” turned four this week-end so we attended her birthday party. Almost since the day she was born, Missy has made it her mission to ignore me. As a baby, I was never able to get a smile out of her. When she got a little older, if I talked to her she would just look the other way. I don’t know what I ever did to her, but she enjoyed pretending I did not exist. That did not change this week-end – at first! As soon as I walked into the house and said hello to her, she turned away. She looked so cute with her cute little sparkly glasses and big eyes. She has a mind of her own and I assumed that I would be spending the evening being ignored by her. Suddenly, after about an hour she decided that maybe I wasn’t so bad after all! She made eye-contact and talked to me. Then she even sat on my lap and brought me a book to read to her. (Although her Mom took the book away from us and began to read it herself because it was a book which listed quotes from Mila and, apparently, I wasn’t using the correct emphasis on the words). By the end of the day, after exactly four years to the day, I had made a new little friend. Spending time with friends – old and new . . . . it’s a good thing!

No comments:

Post a Comment