Pages

Monday, March 7, 2011

Telemiracle 35


People who know me know I am a supporter of local artists, both visual and performing. Our city and province has an amazing amount of very talented people. The music industry here is growing in leaps and bounds, and nothing could make me happier. Having said that, I have not been a die-hard fan of Telemiracle over the years. I do check in, switching television stations during commercials just to see how high the donations have reached and who the show headliners are. I am always impressed with the generosity of Saskatchewan people and I always watch the closing when everyone is on stage, singing O Canada, while balloons are dropped from the ceiling. That never fails to cause a tear or two to flow. I just have never felt a connection with the headliners in previous years, often entertainers from America or other parts of Canada. This year, however, I was pleasantly surprised and impressed. Most of the headline acts were Saskatchewan born and bred musicians, most of who still live here. We have a lot to proud of: we raised $4.6 million during the fund-raiser (that is almost $5 for each man, woman and children in Saskatchewan) and we showcased amazing local entertainers. Supporting local causes and local talent . . . it’s a good thing!

No comments:

Post a Comment