Pages

Friday, May 27, 2011

The Brave and The Not So Brave





Sometimes things happen that make you feel braver than others. That happened to me today in the dentist’s office. Those who know me, know that I am not a very brave “go to the dentist” type person, and today was no exception. I had to have some weird dental surgery done (which is another story, but not a happy one so it has no place in this blog). As I was sitting in the waiting room, breathing slowly and convincing myself that everything was going to be ok, a muscular tall man in a Corrections Canada uniform walked into the clinic. The receptionist handed him a form to fill in and he brought it to the waiting area where he sat in the chair next to me. As he filled in the form, I noticed his hands were shaking. I naturally assumed he had just had some type of life-threatening event at the penitentiary and he was still recovering from an adrenal rush which was causing his hands to shake. I was then called into the office and as I sat in the chair waiting for the dentist to come in, I heard the corrections officer being brought into the room next to mine. He said to the dental assistant “I haven’t been to a dentist since the last time I was here”. She replied, obviously looking at his chart, “That was a few years ago”. “Yeah, I know”, he said “I don’t like coming to see you guys.” “Yes, we’ve been known to make grown men cry” she replied, I suspect only half-jokingly. The corrections officer went on “My teeth are probably in really bad shape because it’s been so long, but I keep putting it off.” in a voice that sounded shaky. “Well” she said, let’s have a look. Open your mouth” She then said “No, really, you have to open your mouth so I can have a look”. It was slowly beginning to occur to me that perhaps he had not just had a crisis involving an outraged inmate high on some type of inhalant. Was it possible that this man who was obviously in top physical shape and who deals every day with the worst criminals in our system – people no one else would be brave enough to deal with – is afraid of a little dental work? I found that hard to believe, but he certainly caught my interest and my ears perked up listening for more details. As a side benefit, it took my mind off my own fear.

A while later, I heard the dentist declare that his teeth were fine and he would require a cleaning and nothing more. The dental assistant, obviously having dealt with many children and grown men in her career, said, “OK, this is what I’m going to use on your teeth first, it doesn’t hurt it just kind of vibrates. Hold out your hand and I’ll show you how gentle it is”. A couple seconds, later, she said “C’mon, hold out your hand. I promise it doesn’t hurt”. He obviously allowed her to show him because she said to him, “See, it’s ok” to which he quietly replied “I guess so”. By this time, the Novocain in my mouth was working very well, and that, along the conversation in the next room, was causing me to feel braver and braver by the minute.

In the next room, the dental assistant was still cleaning the teeth of the corrections officer and asked him “You doing ok?” There was silence for a couple beats. Then she said “It’s ok to say no”. Silence again, then a quiet “No”. She chuckled and said “You know what, we are almost done here, I’m sure you will be just fine”. By this time, I had a huge smile on my face, albeit a crooked one because of the freezing. I wondered what the inmates back at the penn would think if they only knew.

My dentist came into my room then and asked me “Are we ready to go in here”. I said “Yes” and thought to myself, “You bet – bring it on. I am probably your bravest patient in the clinic right now”. Realizing that being afraid of the dentist is ok (even if you are a six foot, muscular, athletic corrections officer) . . . it’s a good thing!

No comments:

Post a Comment