Pages

Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Water Babies





My boys were water babies. They both loved the water and spent hours either in pools or at the lake. We spent many week-ends at the family cabin enjoying sun and water. For them, it didn’t matter if the water was cold or not. That did matter for me, and I spent many hours on the beach, wrapped in a blanket, while they played in the water. Why the stroll down the watery memory lane? I just read an article which said that according to studies done, babies who were allowed to splash around in a pool when they were two to seven months old develop better motor skills – and keep them. These children have better eye-hand coordination and better balance in kindergarten than those who had not. My kids did not swim at such a young age, but I found the article very interesting. The study also showed that babies who swam at an early age establish a strong relationship with their parents. There is no doubt that is true. As parents we spent a lot of time in the water with our kids and created many good memories. Raising water babies . . . it’s a good thing!

No comments:

Post a Comment