Pages

Wednesday, May 11, 2011

A Long Goodbye




Because of Mary Hart, I have come to realize that I LIKE long goodbyes. Mary is the co-host of ET - a job she has had for 30 years! She joined Entertainment Tonight in 1981, after she herself was interviewed by the show. The producers liked her so much, they decided to offer her the co-host spot and Mary has never looked back. She announced in August, 2010 that she would retire during her 30th year. Retirement date is drawing near and Mary's final show will be on May 20. That means we have had nine months to say good-bye to her and get used to the idea of ET without Mary Hart. I really like this long, slow good-bye. One has plenty of time to get used to the change. It's been nice to see a long chain of entertainers pay special tribute to her. So unlike CNN. I hate how CNN changes its anchors without preparing its viewers for the change. Aaron Brown had his program for years and then one evening he was gone and Anderson Cooper had his own show in Brown's old spot. Don't get me wrong, I really like AC 360 but I would have liked the opportunity to ease into saying farewell to Brown. Now, I'm sort of afraid to get too attached to Anderson. What if they yank and replace him without a warning? No, I like ET's style much better: saying goodbye slow and easy! Having the opportunity to say goodbye months before the actual departure . . . it's a good ting!

No comments:

Post a Comment