Pages

Monday, May 23, 2011

Zeus


Last week, my son TK got a puppy – a Rottweiler he named Zeus. We always had a family dog throughout TK’s childhood. Though he always loved the family dog, he always wanted a Rottweiler, and many times tried to talk me into allowing him to have one. I told him I did not want a Rottweiler in my house, that I disliked that breed of dog and that he would have to wait until he had his own home to have a Rottweiler. Well, that is exactly what he did. He now has his own home and, sure enough, a new Rottweiler puppy was in his plan. In fact, renos in his new home have been put on hold so that he can fence his yard for Zeus. TK planned the arrival of his new pet with days off of work so that he could spend time with him. On Saturday, he returned to work for a twelve-hour shift and worried about leaving the puppy alone for that long. He asked if we would “dog-sit” for him, which we did. As I have gotten to know this little dog over the past week, I have slowly but surely been falling in love with him. He is so intelligent that you often only have to teach him something once and he knows it! I think one of his most endearing qualities is how stubborn he is. When TK first tried to walk him on a leash, Zeus showed his dislike for the leash by simply flopping down on the floor and refusing to move (all ten pounds of him)! TK literally dragged him across the floor and he still refused to walk. I secretly thought to myself, “Oh, my son, you so deserve each other!” (Well, ok, not so silently – I mentioned this fact to my son – several times). Zeus has come to know each of us already in one short week, as we have come to know him too. His personality is becoming more apparent as each day goes by. I think we have found a new member for our family. Falling in love with a dog you were sure you were going to hate . . . it’s a good thing!

No comments:

Post a Comment