Pages

Wednesday, October 6, 2010

The Guys In The Sky





For the past few days, I and everyone on my street at work, have been watching with amazement the men who are replacing the shingles on the church across the street. The church roof is very high and steep, and towers over the other buildings in the area. I cannot imagine what would possess anyone to take on that kind of job! I have been watching these workers high in the sky perform their work with an agility that almost defies gravity. Almost defies it, but not quite - equally impressive are the various safety measures they are taking. They are at all times secured with cords and ropes, and they create "steps" by laying and nailing down ladders and boards to the roof. They move quickly and efficiently across the roof. Equally impressive is how quickly they descend and climb the building. I wonder how one would train for a job like that. How long does it take before you become accustomed to working on tall buildings? Why would you even want to? I wonder if their mothers know what they do for a living? These men bring the term "Don't look down" to a whole new level. I salute and admire these workers, but I would not want their job for a million dollars! Having a job that does not require you to climb tall roofs and allows you to keep your feet solidly on the ground . . . it's a good thing!

No comments:

Post a Comment