Pages

Tuesday, October 12, 2010

A New Life


This Thanksgiving week-end became even more special than usual - a new baby boy came into our family. My niece and her husband welcomed their first child. As I look at this picture - their first family picture - the years peel away. I remember when she was born and I travelled to another city to meet her and welcome her. I held her, a tiny bundle, in my arms. It is surreal that soon I will hold her child in my arms. Where have the years gone? Does this make me old? I have realized in other family events that I am witnessing generational passages. Our children are graduating from high school and university, getting married and having babies. These nieces and nephews were children only yesterday, when did they grow up and begin to have children of their own? How wonderful to witness it all and now to begin the witness the lives of their children, the next generation. How thrilling to have a new member in our family, this baby boy who will be loved and cherished by a large family, the family who, not so long ago it seems, welcomed his mother. Welcoming a new little person into our family . . . it's a good thing!

No comments:

Post a Comment