Pages

Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Ice Cream -You Scream - We All Scream


Growing up in the country, I was envious of "city kids" who had the opportunity of having ice cream trucks drive down their streets to deliver goodies to them. I wanted to be one of those kids running after the ice cream truck in anticipation of its frozen treats! I loved everything about the ice cream truck: its bell, the friendly driver (of course, he was friendly - he was selling ice cream to kids!), the treats themselves and the whole idea of a vehicle driving to you to bring you treats. We didn't have that down on the farm! There were a few times that we happened to be visiting in the city and an ice cream truck came down the street. I felt such excitement and anticipation at hearing the bell call out to the children and all of us chasing down the truck until it stopped. I don't think it was the treat so much as the experience that I enjoyed - I don't even remember if the treats were tasty or not. I knew that city people had milk, newspapers and mail delivered, but nothing caught my imagination and envy like having ice cream treats delivered. As a adult, I continued to live in the country so I continued to miss out on the "ice cream truck" experience. I now live in the city and it dawned on my today that there are no longer ice cream trucks going up and down neighborhoods - at least not in this city. I wonder if they are a thing of the past? I wonder if health issues and safety concerns have meant that kids no longer chase after ice cream trucks? Whatever the reason, I'm glad that I had the opportunity to hear the ice cream truck bell and to chase down the truck with a dollar in my sweaty little hand to buy a treat. Memories of a musical bell calling out to all the children in the neighborhood that their treats were on their way down their street . . . it's a good thing!

No comments:

Post a Comment