Pages

Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Parade Passion


I went to my city's annual parade last night. The parade is the kick-off for the week-long Exhibition held here each year. Hundreds of people lined up along the parade route and children waited impatiently for the parade to get to them. What is it about a parade that attracts people? I know for children, it's the entertainment and the candy thrown out to them, but what is the attraction for adults? You see many adults without children along the parade route with huge smiles on their faces as they enjoy each float and vehicle as it goes by. My step-dad is in his eighties, and he still loves a parade! He will sometimes even travel to neighboring towns to watch their parades. I'm not even sure what attracts me to this parade, but I rarely miss it. I love the marching bands.Every time one goes by, I find myself with tears in my eyes. I don't know why, because I'm not crying. I always feel a burst of emotions when a marching band goes by and I get teary-eyed. Of course, when a group of bagpipes go by, that universal question always comes to mind: "What do they wear until those kilts??" People from other cities who take part in our parade are always amazed at the enthusiasm and the sheer number of people in the crowd. In a summer where we have had some rain everyday since the beginning of June, last night the rain stayed away for the entire parade. From miniature horses to bands, mascots and clowns, a parade is time to enjoy and appreciate the work put into each float by our neighbors and cheer them on. Enjoying a summer parade . . . it's a good thing!

No comments:

Post a Comment