Pages

Friday, August 13, 2010

A Special Bond

This week, I had the experience of witnessing first hand the immense bond between grandparents and their grandchildren. I knew the bond existed. I had felt it with my own grandmother, but I had forgotten how strong it is. It began as my step-dad lay in his hospital bed on the last day of his life. His grandchildren and step-grandchildren rushed from near and far to say their last good-bye. As they spoke to their grandfather for the last time, their hearts were broken and their sorrow was deep. For many of these young people, this was their first experience with death, and death was taking someone who had been their rock since the day they were born. One of the most poignant display of that undeniable bond between grandparent and grandchildren I witnessed this week was that of my own son and my mother. The day after my stepdad passed away, my mother was with me at my home. I had taken her outside to help me water plants, thinking it might help her to be occupied. My son came into the backyard and walked toward to his grandmother, who broke down into tears when she saw him. My strapping six-foot-two son wrapped his arms around his tiny five-foot-two grand-mother and told her everything was going to be ok. His arms seemed gigantic around her petite frame, and she held tightly onto him as if drawing strength from him. I marvelled at the bond between them, and the love they share. The bond and the love is shared by grandparents and grandchildren everywhere. It is unique and it is wonderful. Witnessing - and feeling - the love between grandparents and grandchildren . . . it's a good thing!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing this tenderhearted post. Yes, the bond between grandchildren and grandparents is special. My children loved their grandparents. Now my children are grown, their grandparents are in heaven, and I'm the grandparent!
    I've just written a book for grandparents to affirm them in their important role and to encourage them to join their grandkid's fan club. You can learn more here: www.Preparing myheart.net.
    Lydia Harris (a.k.a. Grandma Tea)

    ReplyDelete