Pages

Monday, August 30, 2010

My New Ride!


I bought a new bike on Saturday. OK - I admit it: I have never owned - or wanted to own - a bike with gears! Which should give you an idea how old my old bike is. I bought my old bike back when you could still buy one without gears - I specifically bought it because I knew it was one of the last years that kind of bike would be produced. (I don't drive standard vehicles either, by the way). My bike had not been used for a few years when I pulled it out of the garage this spring. I began riding it and remembered how much I have always loved bike riding. However my poor bike was falling apart and made a weird scrapping noise every time the pedals made a rotation. I told myself I didn't care what people thought, I loved my "non-gears" bike. However, last week I had to admit to myself that I was biking on the trail only when I am pretty sure there wouldn't be many people out. I also had to admit to myself that I would try not to pedal when I rode past people so that my bike wouldn't make that weird noise. I finally had to admit it: It was time for a new bike - and, because of availability, it would have to be one with gears, no less! So, Saturday, I got my new bike (a pretty blue), had my husband instruct me on how to work the gears (several times) and have been flying up and down the trails for the past couple days! And - bonus - it has a kick stand, which is a feature on a bike I have wanted since I was a child - I was so envious of friends who's bikes had kick stands. (I think all bikes comes with kick-stands now, but it is still a wonderful feature to me). A brand new bike that looks pretty and pedals without making weird noises . . . it's a good thing!

No comments:

Post a Comment