Pages

Tuesday, February 8, 2011

A Matter of Colour


OK – I admit it: I am a “colour” person. I am influenced by colours. I first became aware this was true when taking a class at university aimed at preparing us for studying. We were taught different ways to study and we were told that if we were “colour” people, our study notes would be more effective if each topic was written in different coloured ink. In order to decide if we were or were not colour people, the instructor asked us to think how we feel about colours. Do we buy things like notebooks and pens in certain colours because they “make us good” or do we just buy these items in whatever colour we happen to grab first? Do certain colours make us feel happy or do colours have no effect on us at all? I knew after answering those two questions, I was a colour person. I definitely bought notebooks, pens, pencils, pencil-cases, and rulers in colors I enjoyed looking at. I used the “coloured ink” system for my notes and it worked very well for me. Even at work, the items I use everyday are usually in colours I like. I will go out of my way to buy a journal for work in pink rather than blue or black. Now, I find there has recently been actual scientific research to back up the “colour person” theory. A survey of 600 people was done in which their pill-taking habits were examined. Over 75% of those studied were more likely to take pills if they liked the colour! They also found people were less likely to forget to take their pills if the colour pleased them. When I think back to my own pill-taking experiences, I realize that I too am more likely to remember to take a pill or a vitamin if I like the colour. It’s good to know that I am normal, after all! Being a colour-person and knowing it is ok to be one. . . it’s a good thing!

2 comments:

  1. lovely colours.
    i love them too. the world is a brighter place with colours :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. may I copy this image? :)

    ReplyDelete