Pages

Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Hooked on Books (And other things that smell good)



I love books, magazines and fliers! Not just reading them (which I do - I am an avid reader), but I love the smell of the ink! There is no better piece of mail than one that has a wonderful, deep ink smell. I look forward each year to receiving a copy of the Coteau Books flyer because their ink has a fantastic scent! Before reading which wonderful Saskatchewan books they are offering this season, I take a few minutes to inhale the glorious scent of the flyer ink. Each time I walk into a print shop and get a whiff of the ink, I think "I missed my calling - I should work here". Of course, not all books, magazine or fliers have a wonderful smell - in fact, most don't. So, when I do get my hands on reading material that does smell nice, I take the time to enjoy it! A good book to read - and maybe, smell . . . it's a good thing!

2 comments:

  1. Bet you're one of those people who really misses the Gesstettner printers from elementary school, eh? When the teacher would hand you a print out and before you got to work, you'd drag your page up in front of your face - the tip of your nose just skimming the sometimes still-damp ink .... ah, the memories of reading as a full-on sensory experience. I stopped doing that when they started adding perfume strips to the magazines. Kind of backfired on the advertisers because it was the opposite of their desired result. Thanks for the memories, Rose.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually don't like the smell of ink. I love reading the newspaper, but hate getting the ink on my fingers! Drives me crazy!
    But I do love to read everything and anything!

    ReplyDelete