Pages

Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Theatre Popcorn




Why does theatre popcorn taste so good? Is it because you pay $8 for a tub and your mind tells you “This is really, really good popcorn or you would never have paid so much for it”, thereby convincing yourself that this is the best popcorn ever? Maybe the giant screen and surround-sound add to the flavour of the popcorn? Or is there some secret ingredient that makes it so much better than popcorn anywhere else (in the same way that KFC has its secret ingredients)? Times being what they are and with everyone eating healthy, theatres even offer becel margarine for your popcorn – and it still tastes better! And just what is in the shaker that makes your popcorn magically turn orange? The popcorn even smells different than any other popcorn you might smell elsewhere! Whatever the secret is, I really don’t want to know. I just want to enjoy the magic of the big screen with a container of delicious– if over-priced – popcorn. A tub of mysteriously delicious theatre popcorn . . . it’s a good thing!

1 comment:

  1. Hahaha, Rose. I remember when I lived in La Ronge, where there was no theatre popcorn, I would dream about it. Once, walking down a street in Saskatoon, I walked by the open door of a theatre and the aroma came wafting by my nose - almost like the visible waves of smell you see in a cartoon - and as if propelled by those waves, I turned in and begged my way past the ticket guy to the candy counter. I bought the biggest bag they have and ate it all the way home. Ahhh, bliss! It is powerful stuff. Even today, I don't go to the movies all that often - too much of an anti-violent-movie snob, I guess - but if Doug is going with a friend, he'll have a big bag there and then get it refilled for me before coming home (They give you a "free" refill on that $8 bag, you know - seems fitting as it only takes 35 cents worth of kernels to make it!!!). Seriously, with some of the movies today, the popcorn is the BEST part!

    ReplyDelete