Pages

Monday, July 26, 2010

Raspberry Rhapsody



It's raspberry season! Finally! What could be better than freshly picked, locally grown (as in your own garden) raspberries? I have a small raspberry patch in my back yard and I anxiously wait and watch for the appearance of those first wonderful berries of the season. After eating trucked-in California raspberries all winter, one forgets how delicious fresh raspberries are. The best time is that first week, before the birds catch on that those red things on the prickly bushes can be eaten. As well as avoiding competition with the birds, I usually "forget" to mention to my family that the raspberries are ready for eating those first for days (it is a really small patch, after all). Therefore, for a week or so, I have those berries to myself. They are just so darn good! It's a nice treat to look forward to after watering the flowers and pulling a few weeds. Raspberry season . . . it's a good thing!

2 comments:

  1. Our neighbour's raspberry bush has creeped through the fence into our yard....and I love it!! We picked a few yesterday and Missy was sooo thrilled! We pretended to "trick" Daddy and say we got them from the store, she thought that was ha-larious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember how much Missy loved the raspberry patch at your Mom's! I seem to recall her shoving raspberries into her mouth as quickly as her little hands could move! :)

    ReplyDelete